05 September 2007

Dylan

I ran into Bob Dylan over labor day weekend, and had a nice visit. We went out for a quick bite-- Bob had a lettuce wrap thing, and I had a super burrito with cole slaw on the side. We both had iced coffee. It was kind of hot out. No, wait, Bob had rock juice. He didn't find the name ironic or stupid, or make any kind of comment on being embarrassed about ordering something as ridiculous sounding as rock juice. I guess I kind of envied him there. I was thinking, that's kind of when you know your mind is on other things. He can probably eat a snickerdoodle cookie without cringing, and he can probably call a blog a blog. I asked him about this movie with Todd Haynes, and he seemed kind of pleased with it. He said it was the kind of thing he'd have done years ago, and everyone would give him shit about it. I said everyone will probably give Todd Haynes shit about it now, and he said, maybe so, but not the kind of shit he would’ve got, or still would. I asked is that because you're Bob Dylan, and people want you to write songs and not make movies? He said, of course, if Todd Haynes recorded a double album with 10 minute long songs and cryptic lyrics, people would certainly give him shit, but not that much. Especially if it was good. I said then why? He said, something like, well, I'll get shit for buying a Volvo, or using Tide detergent, or dressing in all green. I said, yeah, I suppose you're right. And he said, so, do you still want to be me? And I said, hell no. I never wanted to be anyone but....


Air France

No comments: