07 September 2007

LULL

I was walking into the office by one of the new condos going up, and I noticed this orange lift machine with the word "LULL" on it in huge letters. By lift machine I mean some kind of construction machine that looks to be a combination of a cherry-picker and a bulldozer. It looks like it can move around easily and hoist large objects up into the air. The letters LULL were painted prominently on the side, obviously the name of the company that makes the machine. I don't know if the letters are an acronym for something, or somebody’s name, or perhaps a descriptive phrase.

As I walked by the machine I noticed several workers, construction workers wearing hardhats, standing around idly. One man was leaning against the machine, and another was smoking . One had his hands in his pockets, and one was talking absentmindedly on a cell phone, stumbling back and forth. One of the men was drinking a cup of coffee. I think at least three of them were smoking, actually.

It then occurred to me that perhaps LULL was the wrong thing to write on the side of machinery. Perhaps LULL was the wrong message to be presenting to your workers. It occurred to me that they have been working on this particular condo FOREVER, and it's not like it's an architectural gem or anything. It essentially looks like PROJECTS with BALCONIES.

No comments: